There are two routes to accessing coaching and mentoring:
Route 1: requesting a coach or mentor for yourself;
Route 2: If you are a Manager and wish to recommend coaching and mentoring to a member of your team, please get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange to discuss this with you.
Whichever route you choose the following steps are applicable:
Before the ‘chemistry conversation’
(A 'chemistry conversation' is an informal meeting with your potential coach or mentor. The aim of the conversation is to identify whether you feel you can both work successfully together and are a good match.)
- Read through the supporting information on our web pages that explains our approach to coaching and mentoring
- Discuss your requirement for a coach or mentor with your line manager before applying
- Complete the coaching and mentoring request form which can be found here.
- We will respond to your query within five working days and put you in touch with a coach or mentor in order for you to arrange a ‘chemistry conversation’.
After the ‘chemistry conversation’
- Please contact us at email@example.com within five working days following the chemistry conversation, in order to confirm whether you will proceed with your coach or mentor. If you feel the match we have suggested for you is not appropriate, please let us know and we will arrange a meeting with a different coach or mentor. It is essential that you feel at ease with your coach or mentor so that the relationship will be successful.
- You and your coach will agree and schedule a maximum of six sessions of 1 hour to 1.5 hours of coaching or mentoring to suit you both.
- Your coach will go through the EMCC Global Code of Ethics with you and also our Coaching and Mentoring Agreement
- Your coach or mentor will ask for feedback from you in an informal and formal capacity during your time together. This feedback is valuable for the coach-mentors development and vital for the progression of the Coaching and Mentoring Academy.
All staff are most welcome to have an informal and confidential conversation with a member of Organisation Development to find out more about coaching and mentoring at Coventry University. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Coaching and Mentoring agreement
Our coaching and mentoring agreement is a key element in ensuring a successful relationship with your coach or mentor. The agreement will be discussed during your first formal coaching or mentoring session (or even at your chemistry conversation, if appropriate). It is essential that you are comfortable with the terms specified within the agreement and if you have any concerns or questions, that you address them with your coach-mentor at the earliest opportunity.
Your Personal Learning Plan
At the beginning of your coaching or mentoring journey, your coach or mentor will identify and agree a Personal Learning Plan that is tailored for you and owned by you. Your coach-mentor will regularly review this with you to ensure that you are on track to meet the requirements of your plan.
Coventry University has an organisational membership with the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC) and all our coaches and mentors abide by the EMCC’s Code of Ethics. More information can be found here:
Applications for both coaching and mentoring will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. Should there be circumstances around the need for coaching and mentoring that you feel it would be helpful for us to be aware of when reviewing your application, please do get in touch at email@example.com and we will arrange for you to speak with a member of our team.